This last Monday I met with the physician for my 6 month check-up and she looked over my test results and said, "something something something pre-diabetes something something something." She did mention metabolic syndrome before that, but she seemed more focussed on the pre-diabetes. Which of course freaked me out. I left almost in tears and once I got in my car I went to my Blackberry and googled the sh!t out of pre-diabetes which didn't help calm my fears.I didn't understand her diagnosis for several reasons...1)I've lost a bunch of weight 2)Shouldn't they have noticed this 6 months ago? and 3) I drank alcohol this last weekend and ate more sugar than usual because it was Turdkey day. So I just thought maybe the results from my tests were off or maybe it wasn't as severe as what I was reading, because why else would she have mentioned it somewhat casually and then moved on? Fast forward to tonight.Apparently I really was only hearing, "something something something pre-diabetes something something something" Because tonight I went in after work and met with the nutritionist. I asked her what foods I should avoid and which foods I should lean towards now that I've been diagnosed with this ....... thing. She looked over my test results and said the words that melted my face off with relief."I'm not sure what you *think* the doctor told you but these test results don't say you have pre-diabetes. They say something completely different, something that we can work on and eventually get rid of completely. If not taken care of, eventually it will turn into pre-diabetes, but you're already doing everything you need to do in order to get rid of this, so in 3 months when you are re-checked, your results should be drastically different and much better." Squeeee...*happy dance*Needless to say...relief!
Basically I have Metabolic Syndrome which for me means I have low good cholesterol, high triglycerides and excess belly fat. So now on my shopping list is Fish Oil, sugar-free foods and whole wheat pastas as well as brown rice.OK - so I'm rambling and probably have outdone myself with the oversharing. Sorry! I had to get it out and did not want this on my public blog
No comments:
Post a Comment